Wednesday, October 25, 2006

I'll Get There Eventually

I'm old. So very, very old; there's gray in my hair and a cane in my hand; I have two real teeth and a fondness for tea and cats, a collection of antique furniture that I used when I was young and could now sell for millions, and never stay up past nine at night.

Some of that may be an exaggeration, but I'm admitting nothing.

Today I am 23. Perhaps most people don't announce their own birthdays, but after all, it is my blog, and what else am I to do with it? One ought to make a big deal of the day one becomes old. I'm off to a good start celebrating by staying up far past midnight when I really should be in bed attempting to become healthy again, on the theory that others won't want to spend 6-7 hours in a car with me coughing (heaven knows why not), yet staying at a friend's house until 11:45 seemed so much more pleasant a way to spend the evening.

And then there's the fact that one of my closest friends shares a birthday with me. He's a year younger, which means he can tease me about my age, but I already claimed to be one year short of ancient (old; but still that one year short of ancient), so it's all okay - there are benefits to being in the middle of the sandwich. For one thing, the strawberry jam is quite tasty.

In regards to shared birthdays, it isn't fair sending a message before midnight, yet I have to be up and at a computer at exactly midnight to make sure I'm the first to send birthday greetings. I have to win of course. But this year he proved his ability to beat me, if not at timing, then at an equally important aspect of the tradition. Rather than a simple email, I recently found myself in posession of two emailed voicemails (three cheers for gmail) lamenting my own quick timing, wishing me a happy birthday, and singing what I believe was Happy Birthday in a language I don't want to admit not knowing. For which he received multiple points, not only for style, but for giving me the final smile of what turned out to be an enjoyable day, and also the first great joy experienced after midnight struck and my birthday actually began. And so I believe he wins.

Instead of about my birthday, I suppose this post could be about the benefits of gmail and of computers with reasonable sound systems, but I think, after all, it's actually a round-about attempt to praise this particular close friend, who is always able to make me smile and bring some joy to my day. Even if chances are that he won't ever read this post.

So, to Domenic: happy 22nd birthday! Wishing the best of days to you, and of years to come, and happiness always. Your friend, Bronwyn.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

2 comments:

Angelie said...

Awww! Many happy returns! Cute picture!

Angelie said...

Wait- one year short of ancient? What are you saying about people born in 1982?
*grumbles* Whippersnappers have no respect for their elders these days...what's the world coming to?