Thursday, October 19, 2006

Collector's Item

Some people collect nice things like old paintings or baseball cards or model airplanes. Or maybe coins. I have a small coin collection, at that (along with a keychain collection, some posters, and a ton of old pencils). But I also collect books. Not nice, rare, famous books, but any particular book at all by... wait, wait... oh, you guessed it! Orson Scott Card.

I doubt either of my parents have started looking into buying Christmas presents yet. If I got a couple people in my family to work together, I might be able to convince them to buy me something a bit more expensive. Still, at this point I don't really feel I should be drooling over a $250 lettered edition Saints. Nor so much as acknowledging the fact that there are only 15 copies and that if I want one, I really need to do something about it NOW instead of later. I really shouldn't be going and looking at the site every day and worrying over the fact that the regular, non-fancy limited edition is already sold out.

Not that it's stopping me. Saints is the only specifically Mormon work of OSC's that I've read, and it's specifically Mormon in the sense of being a story about the people who founded the religion rather than teaching Mormon beliefs. I've not read nor will ever likely add to my collection any of his more directly Mormon works of any type, but found this one to be a good read and contain nothing objectionable. I've only ever spent a lot of money on one book for myself (which later was reprinted so I could have gotten it for $20 instead of $200.. not fair) and own one other more expensive book, and I try not to often make extremely large or outrageous purchases, but we'll have to wait and see whether this sells out before I start talking myself into it instead of out of it.

It just sounds so pretty.

No comments: