Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Safe in Texas

For all those interested, I arrived safe and sound in Austin a week and a day ago. The trip was uneventful, but I will note that Missouri was full of mosquitoes, Arkansas is still a beautiful state, and the drive down through northeast TX looks much nicer by daylight and when not worried about showing up at midnight.

Since being in Austin, I have been treated not only to hours of family companionship but also to a brilliant live musical. I managed a seat in the third row back (or was it the fourth?), got autographs from all the actors (and the director!), was invited to spend the rest of the evening with the cast, was treated to a free and delicious dinner before the show, and was even invited to the dress rehearsal the previous evening in order to join the technical crew and film the performance. The fact that the particular film was not used when putting together the final product is irrelevant.

In case anyone was unaware, Texas is hot. Duct tape melts in cars, as do the colorful tops of thumbtacks, and laminating on books will bubble. Luckily air conditioning exists inside (there is a similar thing outside, called nighttime) and I have been safely and happily cool since arriving with the exception of venturing into cars.


I finally watched Hero, and the only review I am immediately going to give is in saying that I haven't had time to think about it yet and I certainly hadn't digested it within a night after watching it. Though I may not have spent too much of that night actually thinking about it either. I have also been introduced to Good Eats, and (with apologies to any fans out there) was not terribly impressed. Granted, it was funny, but as far as cooking goes I really care that little. The chances of me taking time to make my own chocolate sauce (or store eggs on their side, or attempt to perfectly cut and cook cabbage) are so slight as to be non-existent, unless after getting my own apartment I need to cook a particularly special meal for anyone, so the practical benefit of the show was lacking. The amusement gained from it was not constant enough to be worth the amount of time spent watching a guy cut meat (or other cooking related action). The companionship value of watching it with other people, however, was and continues to be worth the half hour. Someday, perhaps, these ancient memories of half-absorbed cooking knowledge will return to me in time of need.

No comments: